Re: Simple sql question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Wright, George
Subject Re: Simple sql question
Date
List pgsql-novice
select cast (col1 as float) / cast (col2 as float) from test;

gives 0.5

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tore Lukashaugen
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 2:02 PM
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: [NOVICE] Simple sql question

Hello,

I am new to Postgres and have an embarassingly simple question. I am
running
v8.2 on Windows Vista although I don't think that has any bearing on the

answer.

create table test (col1 int, col2 int)
insert into test values (1,2);
select col1/col2 from test....yields 0 not 0.5 - why?

Presumably this is because both col1 and col2 are ints and the output
needs
to be casted somehow? Or is it because PGAdmin's SQL interface does not
by
default show the decimal places of output?

Appreciate your help.

Tore