Re: State of the art re: group default privileges - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: State of the art re: group default privileges
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/21/2013 07:52 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 03/21/2013 10:39 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>>
>>> This won't fly unfortunately. It's a shared host, and the "developers"
>>> are a mixed bag of our employees, consultants, and the customer's employees.
>>
>> Do not follow. The set role= is put on a login role. It will only work
>> on those databases the user role is allowed to log into.
>
> If one of our employees creates a table for one of our other projects,
> in one of our other databases, we don't want it being owned by a group
> of people who don't work for us.
>
> Or if we're working on a project for customer2, we don't want everything
> to be owned by the developers group if "developers" contains customer1's
> employees.

I understand the above, I am just not sure how that differs from your
file system analogy. Say:

group
    dev
users
    aklaver
    morlitzky

Both users are made members of dev and granted access on each others
files through dev. Any one else added to dev would have the same access,
it would seem to be the same situation. Then you are led to the question
below on different dev groups.

Now it is entirely possible I am missing something obvious:)

What it comes down to is the privileges system is what it is and while
change is possible, probably not on a time scale that meets your
immediate needs. Over the course of this conversation there have been
quite a few scenerios presented, it might be helpful to create an
outline of your usage cases and see what the collective wisdom comes up
with.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com