Re: C++Builder6 enum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: C++Builder6 enum
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/15/2013 04:06 AM, Charl Roux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using C++Builder6 on WinXPSP3, with Devart's dbExpress driver. I
> declared a enumeration type called 'professionEnum', which is used by my
> variable 'profession'. I get an error: 'Cannot access field 'rootcause'
> as type Text', if I try and enter a value into the enum field.

Not sure where 'professionEnum' comes into play, it not shown anywhere
below. I will assume you mean 'rootCauseEnum'.

> 1. I create the table as follows:
> CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS
> status(
> statusCode BIGINT PRIMARY KEY,
> description VARCHAR(50),
> level SMALLINT,
> rootCause rootCauseEnum,
> material VARCHAR(100),
> actionTaken VARCHAR(50)
> )
>
> 2. I add an enum type 'rootCauseEnum' as follows:
> AnsiString SQL;
>
>    SQL = "CREATE TYPE ";
>    SQL = SQL + edtEnumerationType->Text;    // My entry: rootCauseEnum
>    SQL = SQL + " AS ENUM ( ";
>    SQL = SQL + edtEnumerationList->Text; // My entry:
> 'none','unknown','elec','oil'
>    SQL = SQL + " )";
>
>    int errorCode = frmDataModule->eyeConnection->ExecuteDirect(SQL);
>
> 3. I add a record to the status table from the command prompt which
> works fine as follows:
> eye=# INSERT INTO status VALUES( 100002, 'Running', 0, 'none', 'Not
> applicable', 'NA');
>
> 4.I add a record to the status table from C++Builder as follows:
> I have an edit box for every field, as I enter the following all is fine:
> statusCode=100003
> description=Stopped
> level=0
> As I enter any of the following into the rootCause field:
> rootCause=none
> rootCause=1
> I get the following error:
> Cannot access field 'rootcause' as type Text.

Are you sure this is not a case sensitivity problem on the field
rootCause. In your table definition it is rootCause, in the error
message it is rootcause. Postgres will fold down unless the field name
is quoted. If the the original table definition quoted the field names
then they retain their case and need to be quoted when used. For more
detail see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html
4.1.1. Identifiers and Key Words

--