Re: Duplicate JSON Object Keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Duplicate JSON Object Keys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/13/2013 08:17 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think Andrew and I had envisioned this as basically a text data type
> that enforces some syntax checking on its input, hence the current
> design.  But I'm not sure that's the ONLY sensible design.
We're probably stuck with it at this point, but it may well be worth
considering the later introduction of a compatible `jsonobj` that stores
parsed and normalized json objects in some internal format the client
doesn't have to care about, like serialized V8 JS VM objects.

I suspect that such a type is better offered by a contrib until/unless
PL/V8 or a similar becomes a core language. It'd be nuts to try to
re-implement all of the JSON and javascript object functionality in a
javascript engine when we can just plug an existing one in and use its
JSON and javascript object manipulation. The minimalist approach makes
sense for the json type precisely because it's just validated text, but
I don't think it makes sense to continually extend it and slowly
reinvent a whole javascript engine in Pg.

If we're going to do things like normalizing json I think that's a job
for a real JavaScript engine that understands Javascript objects.