Re: Duplicate JSON Object Keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Duplicate JSON Object Keys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/08/2013 10:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hannu Krosing escribió:
objectkey uniqueness should be enforced either by throwing an error on duplicate keys, or by flattening so that the
latestkey wins (as happens in JavaScript). I realize that tracking keys will slow parsing down, and potentially make it
morememory-intensive, but such is the price for correctness.

>>> I'm with Andrew.  That's a rathole I emphatically don't want to go
>>> down.  I wrote this code originally, and I had the thought clearly in
>>> mind that I wanted to accept JSON that was syntactically well-formed,
>>> not JSON that met certain semantic constraints.
>> If it does not meet these "semantic" constraints, then it is not
>> really JSON - it is merely JSON-like.
>>
>> this sounds very much like MySQLs decision to support timestamp
>> "0000-00-00 00:00" - syntactically correct, but semantically wrong.
> Is it wrong?  The standard cited says SHOULD, not MUST.

I think one MAY start implementation with loose interpretation of
SHOULD, but if at all possible we SHOULD implement the
SHOULD-qualified features :)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt:

SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

We might start with just throwing a warning for duplicate keys, but I
can see no good reason to do so. Except ease of implementation and with
current JSON-AS-TEXT implenetation performance.

And providing a boolean function is_really_json_object(json) to be used in check
constraints seems plain weird .

Otoh, as the spec defines JSON as being designed to be a subset of javascript,
it SHOULD accept select '{"foo": 1, "foo": 2}'::json; but turn it into
'{"foo": 2}'::json; for storage.

I do not think it would be a good idea to leave it to data extraction
functions to always get the last value for foo in this case 2

Hannu