Re: Why does slony use a cursor? Anyone know? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Why does slony use a cursor? Anyone know?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/06/2013 04:49 AM, Glyn Astill wrote:

> What version of slony are you on?  The specifics of what you mention
> don't sound quite right, but it sounds very much like bug 167 which
> was fixed in 2.1.2 if I remember correctly.

We're on 2.1.2. Presumably, anyway. I didn't encounter the problem in
stage when I set up a testbed. But it also might not be related. The
problem I can tell from the logs, is that it was closing the cursor
pretty much right as soon as it got the results. 75 seconds to set up a
cursor of that size and then an hour to sync all the data isn't a
problem. 75 seconds for every 500 rows *is*.

The stage test I did didn't do that when I deleted 20M rows from a 50M
row table, but I also only set it up with a single replication set. My
next test will be to test with two or three replication sets that all
get big deletes like that. My guess is that it can't adequately swap
between them on SYNC events, so it has to rebuild the cursor every time.

Either way, we're likely to be switching to an ETL system because we
need to start scaling horizontally soon. Unless I want to set up a bunch
of partition targets, we'll pretty much have to drop Slony then. I just
want to keep it working until then. :)

Thanks for the info!

--
Shaun Thomas