Re: transforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: transforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter,

> There is also a {Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.} binding for {libpq, libmysql,
> libpng, libyaml, libssl, libgmp, etc.}, each as a separately
> downloadable and buildable package.  I don't think anyone has ever
> seriously considered a system by which if, say, you have Python and
> libyaml installed, pyyaml magically appears.  Might be nice, but maybe
> not.  The solution, in practice, is that you download pyyaml, and it
> pulls in any required dependencies.  This would work the same way.

That would be good too, although we don't currently have that
capability; if I try to install hstore_plpython without plpython
installed, it just errors out.  Aside from that, what can we reasonably
do for 9.3 to get this feature in?

Maybe we add a transforms/ subdirectory of contrib, so that it can be as
crowded as we want?  Or put the transforms on PGXN for now?

I want to see this feature go in so that the community starts writing
transforms this year instead of next year.

BTW, dependancies seem to be working OK for DROP:

postgres=# drop extension plpythonu;
ERROR:  cannot drop extension plpythonu because other objects depend on it
DETAIL:  extension hstore_plpythonu depends on extension plpythonufunction look_up_hstore(hstore,text) depends on
transformfor hstore

language plpythonuextension ltree_plpythonu depends on extension plpythonu
HINT:  Use DROP ... CASCADE to drop the dependent objects too.
STATEMENT:  drop extension plpythonu;

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.