Re: LIBPQ Implementation Requiring BYTEA Data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: LIBPQ Implementation Requiring BYTEA Data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
cite="mid:1362412624808-5747352.post@n5.nabble.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">Merlin

I will try your suggestion, thanks.  I am somewhat surprised to find few
hacks related to my issue.  And the BYTEA type and function documentation
leave much to be desired, IMHO, being a newbie on the Type BYTEA front.

</pre></blockquote> One of the most helpful things you can do when you encounter things like that is to take notes on
what'sgiving you trouble, then come back later once you've found out what's going on and explain what we're missing in
thedocumentation. The things that, if they'd been in the documentation, would've helped you solve your problem.<br
/><br/> I try to do this whenever I'm learning a new technology; I start a "newbie notepad" with all the things I found
confusing,underdocumented, or generally awful. I come back to it once I've got some idea what's going on and write it
upas a constructive criticism of what docs improvements, usability fixes, etc might make coming up to speed easier.
Withpatches when I get the chance.<br /><br /> Merlin's suggestion to use libpqtypes makes sense. I'd also look at
using PQexecParams; you should be using it pretty much all the time anyway.<br /><pre class="moz-signature"
cols="72">--Craig Ringer                   <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/">http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/</a>PostgreSQLDevelopment, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services</pre>