Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
Re: Enabling Checksums  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Re: Enabling Checksums  (Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com>)
Re: Enabling Checksums  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 04.03.2013 23:00, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 22:27 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Yeah, fragmentation will certainly hurt some workloads. But how badly,
>> and which workloads, and how does that compare with the work that
>> PostgreSQL has to do to maintain the checksums? I'd like to see some
>> data on those things.
>
> I think we all would. Btrfs will be a major filesystem in a few years,
> and we should be ready to support it.

Perhaps we should just wait a few years? If we suspect that this becomes
obsolete in a few years, it's probably better to just wait, than add a
feature we'll have to keep maintaining. Assuming it gets committed
today, it's going to take a year or two for 9.3 to get released and all
the bugs ironed out, anyway.

- Heikki