Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Heikki Linnakangas (hlinnakangas@vmware.com) wrote:
> Perhaps we should just wait a few years? If we suspect that this
> becomes obsolete in a few years, it's probably better to just wait,
> than add a feature we'll have to keep maintaining. Assuming it gets
> committed today, it's going to take a year or two for 9.3 to get
> released and all the bugs ironed out, anyway.

For my 2c, I don't see it being obsolete in a few years, even if every
existing FS out there gets checksumming (which won't happen, imv).
It's quite clear that there is still ongoing development in the
filesystem space and any new software will have its own set of bugs.
Having a layer of protection built-in to PG wil undoubtably be a good
thing and will be used by our users.
Thanks,
    Stephen