Re: Building on MinGW - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Building on MinGW
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/28/2013 11:37 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:

>     Did you copy libpq.dll from the lib directory to the bin
>     directory? If not, try that and see if it fixes the problem.
>

> I've now done that, and it did fix the problem.  I can start the
> database with pg_ctl.exe if I want.
>
> Should the makefile do this for us?  Or is there a way to configure so
> that is not needed (whatever the MinGW equivalent is to an rpath?)

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't one really. The buildfarm
script has for a long time copied the *pq.dll to the install bin
directory, and added the latter to the PATH. This might be a belt and
braces (that's "suspenders" for Americans) approach, but it's worked for
a long time ;-) There is probably a good case for "make install" to do
this copy on Windows.

> psql.exe now runs, but it seems to be broken.  It hangs forever on
> attempting to connect to any server (either the local one compiled
> with MinGW, or a remote server running on Linux).

I have not seen this. When I get a chance I will try to reproduce it.

> psql on the remote linux machine can connect back to the Windows
> server compiled with MinGW, so the problem seems to be with MinGW's
> psql.exe, not its server.

You built this natively, not with a cross-compiler, right?

> Doesn't "make check" have to use something which is morally equivalent
> to psql.exe?  If so, how can it pass if psql.exe is broken?

No, it *uses* psql. If "make check" is working then so is psql. There is
zero chance of it working with a broken psql.

cheers

andrew