Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-pkg-debian
On 02/18/2013 10:15 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 1:38 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>>
>> Folks, we shouldn't be requiring decoder rings here to install Postgres
>> --- we have to do better.
>
> Agreed. A number of years back we did a lot of work to make it easy
> for people to download and install PostgreSQL, through redesigns  of
> the download pages and intentionally directing less technical users to
> the easiest ways to get up and running with everything they need to
> get started (the one-click installers). That was redesigned a few
> months back to point less technical users at the RPM/DEB packages
> instead, as it was felt that with the right wording and stabilisation
> of the package repos that could be made as easy as the installers.
> This is a major step backwards, and needs to be fixed ASAP.

I heavily disagree - while there are certainly improvements to be made I
don't think what we have is a "major step backwards" - we now have stuff
we did not have before, like a much larger selection of packages for a
much larger number of distributions and like with every project we ever
did we will have to do incremental improvements.

I really really doubt that for anybody who is not able to use the
distribution provide packages the current instructions are a problem at
all and whatever we do the easiest way to get pg will always be the
package that the distribution has because that one is "perfectly"
integrated and available.

Comparing for example the current apt.postgresql.org instructions to
what we have for the rpm package we are imho on parity (like people
complain about it being hard to figure out what their current OS is -
you need to know that for rpms as well and afaik there has been no
complaints about that).

Stefan