Re: Temporal features in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vlad Arkhipov
Subject Re: Temporal features in PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Temporal features in PostgreSQL  (Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/04/2013 07:40 PM, Miroslav Šimulčík wrote:
Hi Vlad,

I'm also interested in this topic and work on system-time temporal extension. Here I wrote down design of my solution few months ago https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SQL2011Temporal. The idea is basically the same as in your solution with some minor differences. For example:
     - I use after triggers to store old versions of rows into historical table, so the row is "archived" only if modification is actualy executed.
Then other BEFORE triggers are not able to see what time is going to be inserted into the table. I considered using two triggers, BEFORE trigger for setting the period and AFTER trigger for archiving rows into the history table, but did not find any use cases when it can be better than just a simple BEFORE trigger.

     - I don't need to deal with update conflicts, because I use clock_timestamp() instead of current_timestamp.
You can still come across a conflict even with clock_timestamp(). What if clocks go back during the time synchronization? Even if you have absolutely precious clocks, there are may be clock skew on different CPUs, low system clock time resolution, etc.

Although my solution needs changes in parser to stick with SQL 2011 standard, maybe you can find something that can help you.
I believe that SQL-2011 standard temporal features are not too abstract for PostgreSQL to be implemented as a core feature. They have only two temporal periods: application period (which is controlled by application/user) and system time (which is controlled by system/database, but you cannot specify *how* the system control it), they does not use a special type for storing periods (which is unefficient), they are tied to DATE/TIMESTAMP types (what if you need to store revision numbers instead of time?)

Regards,
Miro