Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add noreturn attributes to some error reporting functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add noreturn attributes to some error reporting functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/12/13 7:19 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-02-12 12:14:06 +0000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Add noreturn attributes to some error reporting functions
>
> I wonder if its time to add a macro for this instead of slapping
> __attribute__((noreturn)) everywhere. That way msvc had a chance of
> adding __declspec(noreturn) or whatever its magic incatation is
> transparently. And perhaps other compilers in the future.

Sure, if someone who has access to both msvc and gcc wanted to put in
the leg work, it would be worth a try.

One possible problem is whether the placement of these modifiers is the
same across all potential compilers.  But we currently use these in
enough places that it would be easy to find that out by just converting
everything and building it.