Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/11/2013 06:33 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>>> There is a problem when running SET PERSISTENT for different GUCs
>>> in parallel. All happen to read the same original file, and only one
>>> setting ends up in the result if you rely only on the rename() being
>>> atomic.
>>> The LWLock provides the serialization for that problem.
>> Tom was voting for one-setting-per-file, in that case the problem
>> doesn't exist.
>
> I voted for the one-file approach and was arguing from the POV
> of the current implementation.

I thought we discussed this ad naseum, and decided to go with the
one-single-file approach for the first round, since we already had an
implementation for that. I still think that's the right approach to take
with this patch; if it doesn't work out, we can go do
one-file-per-setting in 9.4.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.