Re: BUG #7865: Unexpected error code on insert of duplicate to composite primary key - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #7865: Unexpected error code on insert of duplicate to composite primary key
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 11.02.2013 17:34, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>    } catch (SQLException e) {
>        int code = e.getErrorCode();
>        if (code == 20000 // Derby
>           || code == 23505) {// PostgreSQL, Oracle, ...
>           System.out.println("Expected SQL duplicate insert indication
> status code: "+code)
>       } else {
>           System.out.println("Insert into example at "+this.jdbcUrl+
>                      " resulted unexpected SQL Exception code: "+
>                      code + " " + e.getMessage());
>       }

Hmm, looking at the PSQLException source code, I don't think the driver
has ever set the vendor-specific error code that getErrorCode() returns.
I tested the snippet you posted with server 8,4 and 9.2, and with jdbc
driver 8.4 and 8.2, and saw no difference; getErrorCode() always returned 0.

You should be using getSQLState() instead. The "23505" sqlstate is
defined by the SQL standard, so if the other DBMS' you're supporting
follow the spec on that, you won't even need any vendor-specific code there.

- Heikki