Re: Too frequent checkpoints ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Too frequent checkpoints ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/08/2013 02:37 AM, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> I wonder if this is all expected. The database is getting ZERO
> activity. There are no connections open at this time. The checkpoints
> are happening at every 30 seconds and new WAL files are being created,
> AFAIK because the old ones are getting archived. Can't we be smart
> about not archiving new files if we did not generate any new WAL since
> the last archive ?

It is because you have it set up so that the longest time you can go
without checkpoints is 30 seconds. So no matter what, if you have 1000
checkpoint segments you are still going to checkpoint ever 30 seconds.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579