Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fast promote mode skips checkpoint at end of recovery.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/06/2013 09:43 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> 4. I think fast promotion should be the default. Why not? There are
>> cases where you want the promotion to happen ASAP, and there are cases
>> where you don't care. But there are no scenarios where you want
>> promotion to be slow,
>
> Not true. Slow means safe and stable, and there are many scenarios
> where we want safe and stable. (Of course, nobody specifically
> requests slow). My feeling is that this is an area of exposure that we
> have no need and therefore no business touching. I will of course go
> with what others think here, but I don't find the argument that we
> should go fast always personally convincing. I am willing to relax it
> over time once we get zero field problems as a result.

Promotion, should by default should take the most safe, stable route and
only that route.

+1 On Simon's response.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579