Re: json api WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: json api WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/05/2013 02:09 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> I don't see any nice on design   select
> myjson->>'{"authors",0,"name"}'::text[]; - more it is ugly as
> dinosaurs

I rather like dinosaurs. Beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder.

Let me also point out that you can say (somewhat less efficiently):
    myjson->'authors'->0->>'name'

which is not terribly inelegant.

> better and more usual
>
> myjson['authors']['0']['name']
>
> or
>
> myjson['authors/0/name']

Well, nothing like that is going to happen in this release. If you or
someone wants to work on a general subscripting facility for arbitrary
data types then I look forward to seeing it.

Let me also point out that the most important part of this patch is the
part that almost nobody has commented on, namely the parser changes and
API that the actual visible functions are built on. Writing JSON
accessor / transformation functions without this framework is hard, and
often redundant. I'm much more concerned to get this framework and some
basic accessor functions (and preferably operators) added than bothered
about how the latter are precisely spelled.

cheers

andrew