Re: json api WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: json api WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/03/2013 08:20 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com> writes:
>>> The problem being: even though pg_operator resolves to functions in
>>> pg_proc, they have distinct identities as far as the planner is
>>> concerned w.r.t selectivity estimation and index selection.
>> Yeah, this is surely not a workable policy unless we first move all
>> those planner smarts to apply to functions not operators.  And rewrite
>> all the index AM APIs to use functions not operators, too.  Now this is
>> something that's been a wish-list item right along, but actually doing
>> it has always looked like a great deal of work for rather small reward.
> Hmm.  Well, if the operators are going to be indexable, then I agree
> that's an issue, but isn't -> just a key-extraction operator?  That
> wouldn't be something you could index anyway.

Er, what? It gives you the value corresponding to a key (or the numbered
array element).

With the Json operators I provided you're more likely to use ->> in an
index, because it returns de-escaped text rather than json, but I don't
see any reason in principle why -> couldn't be used.

cheers

andrew