Re: Postgresql error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Postgresql error
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/23/2013 04:41 PM, MarkB wrote:
> I have written a program where 2 computers are connected to the same
> database. The first PC executes an update statement and then sends a
> notification. This makes the second PC execute a select statement on the
> same table. The second PC then gets an error:
>
> 'Field "Fieldname" not found'

Is the above the exact error message?
If not what is it?
Which part of the software chain is reporting the error?

By any chance are you dealing with case sensitivity?
In other words are the fieldnames mixed case or upper case?

> I have no trouble executing this same select statement in other places in
> the code or from within PgAdmin.
>
> I wonder how this is possible as an update statement does not change
> anything to the tablefields. I added a delay (sleep) in the code and then
> the problem does not occur, but this is hardly a solution and makes me
> question the stability of other code as long as I am not certain why this
> occurs.
>
> I am fairly certain this has to do with locking. I assumed that the database
> would block the select statement while the table fields are not available.

Generally speaking Postgres does not block reads.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com