Re: Header checking failures on LLVM-less machines - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Header checking failures on LLVM-less machines
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-01-28 19:51:22 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I propose that we should fix this by making the whole bodies of those
>> two headers be #ifdef USE_LLVM.

> Hm, I think it's sufficient that we error out if llvm was configured,
> we've sufficient buildfarm machines running with it enabled.

That is not the point.  The point is that you've broken a developer
tool.  I don't really care whether cpluspluscheck would work on
some subset of buildfarm machines --- what I need is for it to work
on *my* machine.  It is not any more okay for the llvm headers to fail
like this than it would be for libxml- or openssl- or Windows-dependent
headers to fail on machines lacking respective infrastructure.

(And yes, I realize that that means that cpluspluscheck can only
check a subset of the header declarations on any particular machine.
But there's no way around that.)