Re: Yet Another Timestamp Question: Time Defaults - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Yet Another Timestamp Question: Time Defaults
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/21/2013 05:06 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> I see where my confusion lies. There are two proposals at work in the above:
>>
>> "Taking another tangent I would much prefer the default time to be
>> 12:00:00 for the conversion of a date to timestamp(+/-timezone)"
>>
>> "Propose: '2013-12-25'::timestamp ==> 2013-12-25 12:00:00"
>>
>> For the timestamp(alias for timestamp without time zone) case the date
>> does not change. For timestamp with time zone it might.
>
> Well, the big problem here is in trying to use either version of
> timestamp when what you really want is a date. It will be much
> easier to get the right semantics if you use the date type for a
> date.

Agreed. If I was following Gavan correctly, he wanted to have a single
timestamp field to store calender dates and datetimes. In other words to
cover both date only situations like birthdays and datetime situations
like an appointment.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com