Re: Independent backups of subdatabases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Independent backups of subdatabases
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/15/2013 09:16 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 1/15/2013 9:02 PM, Robert James wrote:
>> I would do this as actual databases, but Postgres doesn't allow JOINs
>> and FKs between different databases.  Can I use schema for the above?
>> How? How do I backup and restore schema independently?
>
> pg_dump --schema= ...
>
> and drop schema, create schema prior to a restore of a given schema

Just be aware that a schema only dump has the following restriction:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/app-pgdump.html

-n schema
--schema=schema

Note: When -n is specified, pg_dump makes no attempt to dump any other
database objects that the selected schema(s) might depend upon.
Therefore, there is no guarantee that the results of a specific-schema
dump can be successfully restored by themselves into a clean database.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com