Re: Backup/Restore bytea data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Backup/Restore bytea data
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14/01/13 01:13, sub3 wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having an issue upgrading a really old 8.2 db up to 9.2.2. One of the
> tables contains a bytea field.  When I backup&  restore using pgadmin from
> my 9.2.2 install, it doesn't convert this field correctly.

Could this be due to your bytea_output setting?
   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/datatype-binary.html

Not sure how this could snag you if you are dumping using 9.2, but this:

> I see it starts w/special character when selecting it from the old database;
> in the new db, I see a string starting w/"\211PNG".

is clearly in "escape" rather than "hex" format.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd