Re: pg_dump and restore - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Birta Levente
Subject Re: pg_dump and restore
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 10/01/2013 09:47, Arun Padule wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes you a dump data from one version of postgres to the other version.
> But later you will facing issue with casting of data type's.

As documentaion said, you need to make a dump with pg_dump from the
"destination" version. But if you want to migrate to earlier version,
the earlier pg_dump will not work with newer database.
With pg_dump from 9.2 you can make dump from all versions and restore to
9.2.
But you can't backup 9.0 database with pg_dump from 8.4.
You can try to dump 9.0 with pg_dump 9.0 and restore to 8.4, but no
guarantee to work.