Re: check user in group - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: check user in group
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/25/2012 01:51 AM, Philipp Kraus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how can I check if a user is within a group? I use current_user() to get the logged-in user, but I have a group
"service"and I need a check if the user is member of the group

In recent versions of Postgres user and group have been folded into
roles. The terms still exist, to roughly mean user=role with login,
group=role without login. There are built in functions to work with
roles and privileges. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/functions-info.html

Table 9-51. Access Privilege Inquiry Functions
pg_has_role(user, role, privilege)    boolean    does user have privilege for role
pg_has_role(role, privilege)    boolean    does current user have privilege
for role

There are more available.

--
Adrian Klaver