Re: Coalesce bug ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Coalesce bug ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/21/2012 07:49 AM, David Johnston wrote:
> [...]

do(turn them into anonymously typed rows?) but if the first scalar-sub-select results in a non-null result then the
secondone should not be executed.  Also, the Query Plan shown "never executed" the second scalar-sub-SELECT (from the
samequery form) yet it knows that the result of the second call was "OUTPUT: 2"

>> In the second case COALESCE is working as advertised. Working left to right it
>> finds the first non NULL argument and stops.
>>

> I thought that in order to call the Coalesce function the system would have to know the value of all parameters.
Thereis no lazy instantiation in SQL.  Both "SELECT" statements because they have to be run before the COALESCE
functioncall be evaluated.  Whether the ps3(?) function has to be executed then only depends on whether enough
informationexists in memory to optimize the call away.

I am just going by the docs and what my observations have been:)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/functions-conditional.html#FUNCTIONS-COALESCE-NVL-IFNULL

"Like a CASE expression, COALESCE only evaluates the arguments that are
needed to determine the result; that is, arguments to the right of the
first non-null argument are not evaluated. "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com