Re: pg_xlog is getting bigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_xlog is getting bigger
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/19/2012 01:16 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> AI Rumman wrote:
>> Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@mail.com> wrote:

>>> No. You can corrupt your database if you delete from that directory
>>> directly. Please post the results from running the query on this
>>> page:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Server_Configuration
>
>>   version | PostgreSQL 9.0.4 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
>> compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48), 64-bit
>>   bgwriter_delay | 300ms
>>   bgwriter_lru_maxpages | 100
>>   bgwriter_lru_multiplier | 2
>>   bytea_output | escape
>>   checkpoint_segments | 300
>>   checkpoint_warning | 1h
>>   default_statistics_target | 250
>>   escape_string_warning | off
>>   fsync | on
>>   lc_collate | en_US.UTF-8
>>   lc_ctype | en_US.UTF-8
>>   listen_addresses | *
>>   log_destination | stderr
>>   log_directory | pg_log
>>   log_filename | postgresql-%a.log
>>   log_line_prefix | %t [%p]: [%l-1] host=%h user=%u,db=%d
>>   log_min_duration_statement | 4s
>>   log_rotation_age | 1d
>>   log_rotation_size | 0
>>   log_truncate_on_rotation | on
>>   logging_collector | on
>>   maintenance_work_mem | 1GB
>>   max_connections | 500
>>   max_stack_depth | 2MB
>>   port | 5432
>>   server_encoding | UTF8
>>   shared_buffers | 512MB
>>   TimeZone | US/Eastern
>>   wal_sync_method | fdatasync
>>   work_mem | 256MB
>> (31 rows)
>>
>> Please let me know if you find anything wrong here.
>> Thanks.
>
> I don't see anything obvious. Putting this back on the list, where
> it should have stayed all along. Maybe someone else has an idea;
> I've only seen such behavior when there were archiving problems
> which were showing up in the server log.

Well just for grins and to go to the source, look in the postgresql.conf
file itself.

In particular what is the settings for:

wal_keep_segments

Also what does querying pg_stat_activity as the postgres user show?

Looking for queries that have been held open a long time.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com