Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

> I thinks we need to define new metrics to monitor the evolution of the
> project in the industry. It's not easy but there must some way to mesure
> that. For example, the job trends or ML traffic could be more
> informative that the download numbers...
>
> http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=postgres%2C++oracle&l=&relative=1
> http://markmail.blogspot.fr/2008/02/postgresql-more-traffic-than-mysql-and.html

I also found this :

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=postgresql-8.4+postgresql-9.0+postgresql-9.1+postgresql-9.2&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2007-07-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

I should have thought about it earlier... The numbers are pretty low and
they're quite debian-specific (8.4 is dominant because of Squeeze). but
my guess is that the trends may be the same for other distributions. I
don't know if there's similar stats for other distributions, if you have
similar links for Ubuntu, Arch or CentOS please share :)

Anyway to go back to the good-old mysql-vs-pgsql battle, the graph below
shows clearly that the gap is still big and that it keeps growing

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=postgresql+mysql-server&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2007-07-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1