Re: Poor performance using CTE - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Poor performance using CTE
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 22/11/12 08:42, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 11/21/2012 02:30 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
>> WITH FENCE foo AS (SELECT ...)
>> default?
>>

>> WITHOUT FENCE foo AS (SELECT ...)     :-)
>> Nah!
>> I prefer this, but it is too specific to 'WITH',
>> and very unSQL standardish!
>>
>> Alternatively one of the following
>>
>>  1. WITH UNFENCED foo AS (SELECT ...)
>>  2. WITH NO FENCE foo AS (SELECT ...)
>>  3. WITH NOT FENCE foo AS (SELECT ...)
>>
>> I loke the firsat variant, but the 3rd is
>> most SQL standardish!
>>

> As Tom (I think) pointed out, we should not have a syntax tied to CTEs.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

If other SQL constructs have a optimisation fence, then the FENCE & NOT
FENCE syntax can be used theire as well.

So what am I missing? (obviously WITHOUT FENCE would not make sense
elsewhere, but I wasn't really being serious when I suggested it!)