Re: Poor performance using CTE - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Poor performance using CTE
Date
Re: Poor performance using CTE  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
On 11/21/2012 12:06 AM, Claudio Freire wrote:
> I meant for postgres to do automatically. Rewriting as a join wouldn't
> work as an optimization fence the way we're used to, but pushing
> constraints upwards can only help (especially if highly selective).
Because people are now used to using CTEs as query hints, it'd probably
cause performance regressions in working queries. Perhaps more
importantly, Pg would have to prove that doing so didn't change queries
that invoked functions with side-effects to avoid changing the results
of currently valid queries.