Case sensitivity problems with user name - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Will Rutherdale (rutherw)
Subject Case sensitivity problems with user name
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi.

I have a little problem with user names and Postgres commands.

Due to quirks in corporate account management using ADS, some user names come out as, say, Mickey when you log into Linux instead of mickey.  This unfortunate user tries to run Postgres commands and gets for instance:

$ psql

psql: FATAL:  database “Mickey” does not exist

$ id

uid=123456(Mickey) gid=…

$ pg_dump >dump.out

pg_dump: [archiver (db)]  connection to database “Mickey” failed: FATAL:  database “Mickey” does not exist

$ psql mickey mickey

. . .

I have set up pg_hba.conf with lines like

local all all trust

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust

I tried modifying pg_ident.conf but couldn’t get any results.

When I try going into psql as user postgres to change the user name, I get this problem:

postgres=# alter user mickey rename to Mickey;

ERROR:  role “mickey” already exists

What can I do so that the default user is accepted?  I would like the user to be able to just type:

$ psql

and get in successfully.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Will