Re: DBD::Pg's $dbh->func( "/path/to/file", 'lo_import' ) fails silently - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Will Rutherdale (rutherw)
Subject Re: DBD::Pg's $dbh->func( "/path/to/file", 'lo_import' ) fails silently
Date
List pgsql-general

I would suggest you join the Perl DBI mailing list and ask your question there.  There are some quite capable people in that group who could help you troubleshoot this issue.

-Will

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Kynn Jones
Sent: 18 March 2009 12:01
To: pgsql-general General
Subject: [GENERAL] DBD::Pg's $dbh->func( "/path/to/file", 'lo_import' ) fails silently

I'm trying to use Perl's DBD::Pg module to import a file as a large object.  For this I'm using the following:

my $oid = $dbh->func( "/absolute/path/to/file", 'lo_import' );

When I do this, a new record is added to pg_largeobject, with a proper-looking non-null loid, but the data field remains empty, and the variable $oid above gets a return value of undef, i.e. the call to func fails.  No error warning is ever emitted, as far as I can tell.  ($dbh->errstr returns undef.)  FWIW, the file passed as the first argument is world-readable, and the full path to it is world-accessible.

I've read the documentation for Perl's DBI and DBD::Pg modules, but I can't find any information that will enable me to troubleshoot/debug this further.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

Kynn