Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL
Date
Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> All you'd need is to add
>
> ApplySetting(InvalidOid, InvalidOid, relsetting, PGC_S_$SOMETHING);
>
> in postinit.c, and have some SQL command to modify this setting.

Alright, any suggestions for the syntax?  We currently have

ALTER DATABASE ... SET ...
ALTER ROLE ... SET ...
ALTER ROLE ... IN DATABASE ... SET

I was thinking something like

ALTER ROLE ANY SET ...

in order to avoid creating a new top-level command, but it's not pretty.

Another way might be something like

SET GLOBAL name = value

but that would make the command very dissimilar from the other ones,
even though their effects are closely related.