Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/12/12 4:44 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Is it absurd to suggest using another bitmap, like the FSM or visibility
> map, to store information on page checksumming while checksumming is
> enabled but incomplete?

I spent some time thinking about that last week.  One problem with it is
that the bitmap structure itself has the same issues as every other
write here--how do we know it's going to disk accurately?  The "put
'checksum on' bits on the page" idea and "put checksum on bits in a map"
have the same fundamental issue.  Things might get out of sync in the
same way, you've just moved the potentially suspicious write to a new place.