Re: Inadequate thought about buffer locking during hot standby replay - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Inadequate thought about buffer locking during hot standby replay
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12.11.2012 01:25, Tom Lane wrote:
> Worse than that, GIST WAL replay seems to be a total disaster from this
> standpoint, and I'm not convinced that it's even fixable without
> incompatible WAL changes.  There are several cases where index
> insertion operations generate more than one WAL record while holding
> exclusive lock on buffer(s).  If the lock continuity is actually
> necessary to prevent concurrent queries from seeing inconsistent index
> states, then we have a big problem, because WAL replay isn't designed to
> hold any buffer lock for more than one WAL action.

Hmm. After the rewrite of that logic I did in 9.1 (commit 9de3aa65f0),
the GiST index is always in a consistent state. Before the downlink for
a newly split page has been inserted yet, its left sibling is flagged so
that a search knows to follow the right-link to find it. In normal
operation, the lock continuity is needed to prevent another backend from
seeing the incomplete split and trying to fix it, but in hot standby, we
never try to fix incomplete splits anyway.

So I think we're good on >= 9.1. The 9.0 code is broken, however. In
9.0, when a child page is split, the parent and new children are kept
locked until the downlinks are inserted/updated. If a concurrent scan
comes along and sees that incomplete state, it will miss tuples on the
new right siblings. We rely on a rm_cleanup operation at the end of WAL
replay to fix that situation, if the downlink insertion record is not
there. I don't see any easy way to fix that, unfortunately. Perhaps we
could backpatch the 9.1 rewrite, now that it's gotten some real-world
testing, but it was a big change so I don't feel very comfortable doing
that.

> Also, gistRedoPageDeleteRecord seems to be dead code?  I don't see
> anything that emits XLOG_GIST_PAGE_DELETE.

Yep. It was used in VACUUM FULL, but has been dead since VACUUM FULL was
removed.

- Heikki