Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/12/12 12:55 AM, Jesper Krogh wrote:
> I'd just like some rough guard against
> hardware/OS related data corruption.
> and that is more likely to hit data-blocks constantly flying in and out
> of the system.

I get that.  I think that some of the design ideas floating around since
this feature was first proposed have been innovating in the hope of
finding a clever halfway point here.  Ideally we'd be able to get online
checksum conversion and up running easily, reliably, and without adding
a lot of code.  I have given up on that now though.

The approach of doing a heavy per-table conversion with more state
information than we'd like seems unavoidable, if you want to do it right
and allow people to (slowly but surely) reach a trustworthy state.  I
think we should stop searching for a clever way around and just do slog
through doing it.  I've resigned myself to that now, and recently set
aside a good block of time to beat my head against that particular wall
over the next couple of months.

> But I totally agree that the scheme described with integrating it into a
> autovacuum process would
> be very close to ideal, even on a database as the one I'm running.

I am sadly all too familiar with how challenging it is to keep a 2TB
PostgreSQL database running reliably.  One of my recent catch phrases
for talks is "if you have a big Postgres database, you also have a
vacuum problem".  I think it's unreasonable to consider online
conversion solutions that don't recognize that, and allow coordinating
the work with the challenges of vacuuming larger systems too.