Re: [BUGS] BUG #7534: walreceiver takes long time to detect n/w breakdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #7534: walreceiver takes long time to detect n/w breakdown
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 19.10.2012 14:42, Amit kapila wrote:
> On Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:49 PM Fujii Masao wrote:
>> Before implementing the timeout parameter, I think that it's better to change
>> both pg_basebackup background process and pg_receivexlog so that they
>> send back the reply message immediately when they receive the keepalive
>> message requesting the reply. Currently, they always ignore such keepalive
>> message, so status interval parameter (-s) in them always must be set to
>> the value less than replication timeout. We can avoid this troublesome
>> parameter setting by introducing the same logic of walreceiver into both
>> pg_basebackup background process and pg_receivexlog.
>
> Please find the patch attached to address the modification mentioned by you (send immediate reply for keepalive).
> Both basebackup and pg_receivexlog uses the same function ReceiveXLogStream, so single change for both will address
theissue.

Thanks, committed this one after shuffling it around the changes I
committed yesterday. I also updated the docs to not claim that -s option
is required to avoid timeout disconnects anymore.

- Heikki