Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/2/12 11:17 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>     -Add a configuration subdirectory to the default installation.
>       Needs to follow the config file location, so things like the
>     Debian relocation of postgresql.conf still work.  Maybe it has zero
>     files; maybe it has one that's named for this purpose, which
>     defaults to the usual:
>
> What do you mean by "needs to follow"? In particular, do you mean that
> it should be relative to postgresql.conf? I think that would actually be
> a *problem* for any system that moves the config file away, like debian,
> since you'd then have to grant postgres write permissions on a directory
> in /etc/...

I should have just said that the rules for the directly location are the
ones implied by the include-dir feature.

My understanding is that Debian Postgres installs already had writable
config files in etc, so that you can modify the postgresql.conf,
pg_hba.conf, etc.  Here's a Squeeze server running the stock 8.4 plus
9.1 from backports, and /etc/postgresql/<version>/<cluster> is writable
by the postgres user:

$ ls -ld /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/
drwxr-xr-x postgres postgres /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/

$ ls -ld /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/
drwxr-xr-x postgres postgres /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/

$ ls -ld /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/postgresql.conf
-rw-r--r-- postgres postgres /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/postgresql.conf

$ ls -ld /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/postgresql.conf
-rw-r--r-- postgres postgres /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/postgresql.conf