Re: Automated backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Automated backup
Date
List pgsql-general
"Robert Fitzpatrick" <robert@webtent.com> writes:
> I have a script that tars up dirs for me each night and I've added a
> pg_dumpall function to the script, but having problem with
> authentication. I created a .pgpass file in the root user folder with
> the appropriate permissions (600). However, even though the script is
> owned by root, it does not run. I guess the .pgpass file is not loading
> unless root actually logs in. Can anyone shed light on the best way to
> get pg_dump to work unattended or point me in the right direction.

First thing I'd check is whether $HOME is set in the script's
environment.  Failing that, it might be some other environment variable
that you're depending on.  Scripts launched from cron usually get only
a very circumscribed set of environment variables passed to them.

            regards, tom lane