Re: NOWAIT doesn't work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: NOWAIT doesn't work
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Now, is this the right behavior?  I'm not sure.  But I know for certain
> that making it behave as you expect is very tricky.  The table lock is
> grabbed during parse analysis; we'd have to postpone grabbing the lock
> until after we have had the chance to notice that there's a FOR UPDATE
> clause for the table with a NOWAIT option attached.

I think our present behavior violates POLS.  Users would logically
expect NOWAIT to work for all types of locks.  If we get LOCK TIMEOUT
working in 9.3, this will apply there as well.

No question that changing that would be a new feature, though.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.