Revert TRUNCATE CASCADE? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hannes Erven
Subject Revert TRUNCATE CASCADE?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

today I ran into an issue I believed to be a FAQ, but fortunately it
doesn't seem so as I could find any resources related to this... :-/

A misguided click in PGADMIN executed a "TRUNCATE CASCADE" on a rather
central table of my schema, which resulted in most important tables
being emptied. Postgresql (9.0) was cleanly shut down immediately.

Is there any chance to get the data back?

There is a "pg_dumpall" backup from yesterday, and also pg_xlogs from
well before the dumpall-file until the TRUNCATE command. Unfortunately,
there is no file system backup from the xlog timeframe and as far as I
understood the documentation, a DUMP is no valid base for PITR. Time to
rework backup practices I guess...

Thank you very much for any advice,
best regards

    -hannes