Re: Strategies/Best Practises Handling Large Tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Strategies/Best Practises Handling Large Tables
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/12/2012 09:44 AM, Chitra Creta wrote:

> 4. Creation of daily, monthly, yearly summary tables that contains
> aggregated data specific to the statistics required

If the partitioning doesn't help you, I strongly urge you to build one
or more Fact tables with appropriate Diminsions. If you don't know what
these terms mean, there are lots of books on the subject. They're very
versatile for producing fast reports on varying inputs. You can also
"layer" them by having cascading levels of aggregation from day -> month
-> year, and so on.

These kinds of reporting structures are perfect for huge data
accumulation warehouses. The book most recommended to me back in the day
was The Data Warehouse Toolkit, and I can also vouch that it covers
these subjects pretty well.

I still recommend partitioning simply due to maintenance overhead, but
you'll want to look into this too.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534