Re: Application takes longer time to fetch large no of records from Postgresql 9.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Application takes longer time to fetch large no of records from Postgresql 9.0.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/15/12 9:24 PM, Deven Thaker wrote:

> I have not changed any parameters in postgresql.conf, so using default
> values.
>
> Any recommendations to improve the performance.

yes.   the default values are suitable for a VERY small computer.

increasing shared_buffers, work_mem with have a significant performance
increase.

You've got a 64 bit Windows Server with just 4GB of ram?   thats rather
limiting in this day and age where 16GB of ram is like $70.    Many x86
systems with 4GB can actually only use about 3.2GB, give or take, and
then Windows Server likely is using on the order of 1GB of that, leaving
maybe 2GB for your database server and any other services and
applications you're running on the same machine.

you say, your query is returning almost 2 million records?   how large
are these records?  if they average 500 bytes each, thats 1GB right
there just to hold a copy of the result set from that query.