Re: Re: [GENERAL] Mapping PostgreSQL data types to DB2 Federated Server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Re: [GENERAL] Mapping PostgreSQL data types to DB2 Federated Server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/14/12 6:37 PM, Alexander Gataric wrote:
> On 10/14/12 5:52 PM, Alexander Gataric wrote:
> >
> > I'm on a project which requires adding PostgreSQL tables to DB2 >
> Federated Server. I'm getting an error with PostgreSQL data types >
> boolean, text, bytea, and XML. I believe this can be solved with the >
> CREATE TYPE MAPPING in Fed Server. Does anyone know which values to >
> use? I'm not that familiar with Fed Server.

I googled db2 data types.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.db2z10.doc.intro%2Fsrc%2Ftpc%2Fdb2z_datatypes.htm

Postgres' TEXT would map to VARCHAR(n) but you'll have to decide on a
suitable max length for you n value.    ther's nothing like boolean, so
probably mapping it either to a SMALLINT where 't' is 1 and 'f' is 0, or
mapping it to a char(1) and just storing it as t/f for true/false.
BYTEA is equivalent to a BLOB, whatever DB2 uses for that.    and DB2 is
supposed to have an XML type, but I suppose you could just map it to
VARCHAR(n) again, as XML is really just a bunch of text formatted with
html-like entities.