Re: PQping command line tool - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: PQping command line tool
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/4/12 11:34 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>> I was wondering recently if there was any command line tool that
>> >utilized PQping() or PQpingParams(). I searched the code and couldn't
>> >find anything and was wondering if there was any interest to have
>> >something like this included? I wrote something for my purposes of
>> >performing a health check that also supports nagios style status
>> >output. It's probably convenient for scripting purposes as well.
> I'm not sure how useful this information would be. Most health
> checks (Nagios or otherwise) really only care if things are
> working all the up to point A or not, where point A is usually
> a simple query such as "SELECT 1". Knowing various failure states
> as returned by PQping* does not seem to fit into such tools -
> any failure needs to be handled manually.

For whatever reason our Nagios setup telnets to the port to see if it's open, which means we get a ton of messages in
thelog about authentication errors or some such. It'd be useful to us to have a utility that could cleanly validate the
serverwas up and communicating, without having to actually login.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net