Re: getopt() and strdup() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: getopt() and strdup()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/08/2012 02:40 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> A while ago I noticed that in some places we strdup/pg_strdup() optarg
> strings from getopt(), and in some places we don't.
>
> If we needed the strdup(), the missing cases should generate errors.  If
> we don't need them, the strdup() is unnecessary, and research confirms
> they are unnecessary.  Should we remove the extra strdup/pg_strdup()
> calls, for consistency.
>
> I think we might have had old platforms that required it, but none are
> still supported today.

ISTR there was a requirement at least on some platforms to use
strdup/pg_strdup if the individual argument could be deformed, or the
argument vector could be deformed. But maybe my memory is astray.

I'm all for consistency, but only if we're darn sure it's not going to
break things.

cheers

andrew