Re: Scaling 10 million records in PostgreSQL table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Julien Cigar
Subject Re: Scaling 10 million records in PostgreSQL table
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/08/2012 17:26, Navaneethan R wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello,

>        I have 10 million records in my postgres table.I am running the database in amazon ec2 medium instance. I need
toaccess the last week data from the table.
> It takes huge time to process the simple query.So, i throws time out exception error.
>
> query is :
>       select count(*) from dealer_vehicle_details where modified_on between '2012-10-01' and '2012-10-08' and
dealer_id=270001;

please show us an EXPLAIN ANALYZE of the query

> After a lot of time it responds 1184 as count
>
> what are the ways i have to follow to increase the performance of this query?
>
> The insertion also going parallel since the daily realtime updation.
>
> what could be the reason exactly for this lacking performace?

missing index, wrong configuration, ...
please also note that, generally, all those "cloud stuff" have generally
very poor I/O performance ..