Re: Application using PostgreSQL as a back end (experienced programmers please) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bill Dika
Subject Re: Application using PostgreSQL as a back end (experienced programmers please)
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thanks for all your responses. You have given me much to think about.

Thanks for the offer operationsengineer1@yahoo.com. I will google some of the terms in your post (adodb?, Lemos' Forms?) and get back to you.

Ilias, I think that C# would take me too long to learn (if I could learn it at all ;-)). The same goes for Java, which I understand is a difficult language. My strengths are in accounting and income tax. I have only taken one computer course in my life and that was an introductory course to Linux. I am self taught in computers and can only devote spare time to this project. Everything I've heard about C and its associated languages suggests power and portability but with those features comes a steep learning curve. Thanks, Ilias, for replying to my post.

Hi Steve. I will look into Qt. Also I will rethink a browser interface. Where I work we have some professional income tax software that runs in Windows (and is quite expensive). It does not use a web interface. Furthermore, I think that if it did use a web interface, it would not be nearly as responsive as it is. That is why I was thinking of not using a browser. I use SQL-Ledger for my own bookkeeping. It is written in Perl, uses PostgreSQL as a backend and a browser for a front end. While I like the program very much and enjoy the freedom of using it as compared to something like say, Quickbooks, there is a noticeable delay when loading a form. This delay seems to be much less in stand alone programs that do not use a browser. Or am I wrong about this? In any case your suggestion, along with the response from operationsengineer1@yahoo.com has caused me to rethink using a web based solution.

Thanks again for all your responses. They are much appreciated.

Regards,
Bill Dika